Call 855-660-4261 with your lawn & garden questions every Saturday from 8:06am to 10:00am ET. Then listen to Mort answer your questions. Or email anytime at
Listen to the weekly archive 24 hours a day 7 days a week on demand.
Keyword Search Results for:

1 Found

Question: 230-5201
Is pokeweed poisonous? We used to boil the tender young leaves and eat them as sweet greens. Annie, Norwich, CT

Mort's Answer:
Pokeweed is one of the most attractive plants with their clusters of dark purple flowers at this time of year. Birds will drop the ingested berries in a New York minute. That fruit is highly toxic. Boiling the tender young leaves will remove the lesser amount of oxyalic acid. I wouldn't advise eating it.

back to top